Ermatinger•Clergue National Historic Site, Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario

Ermatinger - Clergue National Historic Site Gives Glimpses to the Past

Ermatinger Old Stone House

Clergue Block-House. The first floor was built in 1819 and second floor in 1894. The house was relocated to this site in 1996.

Admission is $12.50 for adults and $11 for seniors and students.

Entering the Heritage Discovery Centre, you are greeted with the sound of running water.

A very fun gift shop

The War of 1812 Exhibit

Timeline of the War of 1812

This area contains log toys and dress up clothes for kids to play with

Captain Charles Roberts (1772-1816)

Press a button on this drum display to play battlefield tunes used in battle and on parade.

Lieutenant Porter Hanks (1788-1812), died while being held at Fort Detroit facing court martial when British forces attacked and a cannonball smashed through his room and killed him and the officer with him.
The word "Sault" (pronounced "Soo") comes from the Ojibwa/Chippewa nation's name of Saulteax, meaning "people of the rapids." The addition of "St. Marie" came from Jesuit missionaries in the 1600s.
This model depicts Ojibway (left) and Coureurs de Bois (right) evening encampments on the St. Mary's River.
Built in 1814, the Ermatinger Old Stone House is the oldest Stone House north of Toronto. Charles Ermatinger and Francis Hector Clergue lived here seven decades apart but both had a large impact on the growth of Sault Ste Marie.
Vintage typewriter made prior to 1900 and used in the Top and Tuck railway offices until 1912. The key bars are made of wood.
Built by Charles Ermatinger between 1814 and 1823, this is the oldest surviving house in North Western Ontario.

Candle making

Spices (like cinnamon, nutmeg, pepper, cloves, allspice, and cardamom) were kept under lock and key in a special tin spice box.

Head down to the low ceilinged basement to see original timbers, over 400 years old.

Original structural timbers under the base of the house

The basement of the house. The original plaster was made of slaked lime and sand with horse hair added to bind it all together. This mixture was applied over a trellis type layering of handsplit cedar lath. It was up to two inches thick!

Looking to the front door from the summer kitchen / basement entrance.

The Second floor

Medical tools

A writing desk

Empress Sewing Machine

A children's play area has a doll house occupied by animals

The bedroom contains a wood stove, weaving look, crib, and period furniture

Looking out to the back yard from the second floor

Herb garden behind Ermatinger House.

The Clergue Block-House is closed for the winter now as it doesn't have heating.

Get more info at: www.ecnhs.com